August 30, 2011

Honey Bee Bee Bee Bee Bee Bee

My dad has become a beekeeper and it's probably one of the coolest things I have ever experienced. Whenever I travel home, we venture out to the bee hive in our paper white hasmat suits to check the bees out. They are always busy bees, collecting pollen to bring back to the hive. This last trip, I got the privilege of helping my parents harvest the honey. We snapped some photos to show the process...

Beehive full of honey. We harvested the right side of this box. We only took 1/8 of the actual bee hive. 

All the honey comb with some stray bees



Bees removed from honey comb

Mashing comb with hands to get all the honey out
Pouring mash through a screen to filter out waxy comb
                                     

Letting the honey, strainer, and comb siting in the greenhouse to warm up and flow faster\




Our harvest! We got about a gallon of honey this time.
The final product, ready to go on our shelves and in out tummies!!!
Literally one of the most amazing experiences. I am convinced that I will be a beekeeper one day as well when my neighbors don't live so close...

No comments: